U.S. Business Fiber Gap Narrowed in 2013

  • Vertical Systems Group
BOSTON, MA – The U.S. fiber gap continued to narrow in 2013 with the penetration of business fiber facilities expanding to 39.3 percent of commercial buildings with twenty or more employees, according to latest research from Vertical Systems Group, a market research and strategic consulting firm specializing in defensible quantification of the networking industry. The remaining 60.7 percent of buildings are in the Fiber gap with no accessibility to fiber.

Fiber is the optimal wireline access technology for delivery of higher speed network services, including Carrier Ethernet and IP/MPLS VPNs, as well for cloud and Internet connectivity, and mobile backhaul.

Connecting More Small Buildings in Metro Areas
“During the past year, network operators narrowed the business fiber gap through construction and acquisitions. The majority of new fiber deployments were focused on connecting medium and smaller buildings in the metro areas surrounding major cities across the U.S.,” said Rosemary Cochran, principal at Vertical Systems Group. “Broader accessibility to on-net fiber has started to shake up the services markets. Fiber-based providers and cable MSOs are capitalizing on the reach and cost advantages of their footprints juxtaposed to legacy infrastructures. Customers are reaping the benefits of more service options, more competitive pricing and faster service installations.”

Comprehensive analysis of U.S. fiber penetration statistics is available exclusively through the @Fiber research track of Vertical Systems Group’s ENS (Emerging Networks Service). Research content covers the period 2004 through 2013, and includes quantification by customer segment (large enterprise and SMB) and four building sizes (20 to 50 employees, 51 to 100 employees, 101 to 250 employees, more than 250 employees).


Comments

Read what others have to say, and share your own thoughts with the community.

2000 characters remaining
Advertisement

© 2020 Broadband Properties, LLC

Privacy Policy

Web Design and Web Development by Buildable